Monday, June 20, 2005

Could not load package xxx. Contact package vendor error comes in Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2

It was saturday night, when I started with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. I had got the DVDs at Tech Ed 2005, B'lore. It started well. It started installing products one after another. After some one hour of wait installation was through. Ahhh... now I could try out my hands with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. But alas! It didn't work out. It spit out one big error message, "Could not load package xxx". It was package related to Team System, so I ignored it. I went ahead and IDE came properly. I started with creating a new Windows Application. VS 2005 created it but again gave me somewhat similar message, "Could not load package Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE". Hmmm... What could be the issue? I checked for this DLL in installation folder. This DLL was not there. So I added it to GAC. After doing this I tried to open design surface of Form. It said "Could not load package from Microsoft.VisualStudio.Interop.Shell.8.0. Contact package vendor". Hmmm... now what? I searched for similar DLL in installation folder. No vain. I searched DVD also but to no avail. At this point I was not ready to give up. Package vendor without any doubt is Microsoft. They might not be wrong, but something wrong with installation. I peeked into GAC again and here comes the solution. There are two versions of "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Interop.Shell.8.0" with similar version and culture. I deleted one of them and voila, VS 2005 has started working properly. Now it's time to put some controls over form. It cried "Could not load package from Microsoft.VisualStudio.Interop.Design". :) Now I know where to go and fix. After fixing this, I am ready to go. Pressed F5. Wow this time, VS 2005 crashed. But by this time I knew, where to go and fix these issues. Delete one entry of Microsoft.VisualStudio.Interop.Debugging DLL from GAC and now you should be back in business. I am running fine after doing this much solution hunting around VS 2005 Beta 2 installation. Hope to have some good experience around .Net 2.0.

No comments: