Monday, May 22, 2006

Installing mighty Biztalk Server 2006

Well, I am here! Back after a long time. Some commitments at work place were taking their toll over my personal interests. From a long time I was trying to install Biztalk Server 2004 on my personal machine. First I was trying to install it on my Windows Server 2003 machine. It seems I was really running out of luck as I never managed to crack what's the issue. I always used to get "Failed to configure SSO Service error. Could not start Single Sign On Service" type of error message. I was not able to figure out what is the real issue here. Even if I go to service manager and start this service manually, damn Biztalk Server 2004 to shut it again and cry that it could not start it.

Just some days back I was reading the ease of configuring Biztalk Server 2006 (forget about Biztalk Server 2004, its a old gun now). I thought of giving it a try. Yes, configuration is kind of easy. Instead of hundreds of wizards now you have only one window to configure all the things. My installation went just fine as it used to go with older brother. When time came to configure real "stuff", it again got stuck at starting and configuring Single Sign On service. This behaviour was happening on my Windows Server 2003 desktop Windows XP SP 2 laptop. This time I googled web like a crazy person and I got the solution of this very old problem. Microsoft KB 841893 deals with it. I have copy pasted the solution right here. Well MS says either of the solution should work, however to be on a safer side I did both the steps. I tried again configuring the Biztalk Server 2006 and voila it all worked.

RESOLUTION
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To allow client requests to the RPC Endpoint Mapper to succeed, you must require client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper to be authenticated. You can enforce authenticated client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper by running the Group Policy Object Editor or by creating a registry entry. Use one of the following methods to require client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper to be authenticated.


Use the Group Policy Object Editor to enforce the use of authenticated client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper
1. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, click Remote Procedure Call, and then click RPC Endpoint Mapper Client Authentication.
3. Change the value for RPC Endpoint Mapper Client Authentication to Enabled.


Use Registry Editor to enforce the use of authenticated client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT
3. Look for a subkey that is named RPC. If this key exists, click the RPC subkey, and then go to step 6. If this key does not exist, go to step 4.
4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
5. While the new key is selected, type RPC, and then press ENTER.
6. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
7. Type EnableAuthEpResolution, and then press ENTER.
8. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
9. In the Value data box, type the number 1. Click OK.

Note If you want to disable this functionality, set the EnableAuthEpResolution registry entry to 0 (zero).
10. Quit Registry Editor.
After you create this registry value, you must restart your computer for the registry value to take effect. After this registry change is implemented, client calls to the RPC Endpoint Mapper will be made with authentication. This behavior allows the ENTSSO service to start.

Now I am running on a well configured instance of Single Sign on service and Biztalk Server 2006. Eventually Biztalk Server 2004 remains unconquered for me. :)

No comments: