Sunday, January 29, 2012

Database forward engineering using Visio

Though I do not like Microsoft Visio for software designing, but unfortunately this is the only tool which is available to me. Recently I was making database model using Visio and at the back of my mind I had thought that Visio will let me generate database using some single button click.

However when that time came, there was not such button. In fact Visio does not have forward engineering for database. This was a big setback. But then there was a savior. Alberto Ferrari has developed a plug-in for Visio 2010 which can generate database script using your Visio database model. Download it and install and it works flawlessly. If you have problem installing the tool using it’s .exe setup, then rename the .exe setup to .zip and open the .msi installer within .exe setup. .msi installer works without any problem and once installed you will have database forward engineering capability in Visio 2010.

No comments: